Friday, June 17, 2011

Leon Niehues (or could Arkansas become the new art capital of the USA?)

I discovered the work of Leon Niehues (pronounced NEE-house, I think) last semester during our basketry unit. He hails from Huntsville, Arkansas and has been recognized as a Living Treasure by the state. He harvests and prepares his own white oak splints and weavers using age-old methods (and tools) and his work is at once traditional in form and contemporary in appearance. I was fascinated by how his overlay baskets appear garment-like and sculptural while, at the same time, conserving their traditional utilitarian basket forms. Niehues is also an impeccable craftsman and seems to embody Shea Hembrey's (TED Talk) "head, heart, hand" criteria for "fine" art. After examining Kay Kahn's scultpural and expressive use of garments in her work  and drawing from my own personal handwork history combined with a fascination over the fine line between art and craft, I was drawn to this artist. Here is his website http://www.leonniehues.com/classic.html  What a treat! If I ever find myself with a few thousand dollars extra, I will definitely purchase a Niehues basket!

No comments:

Post a Comment