Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Expressive Sound Poem - Art for Children Students

Here is the YouTube link for the Expressive Sound Poem created by my undergraduate, general education students in Art for Children - Spring Semester 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlIQkFhveTk

Considering they went into this experience with no special art or technology (film or computer) training; that the author of the poem expressed concern to her literacy teacher that she had never written poetry before; and that their time and resources were extremely limited, I thought it was exceptional. I told them that my criteria for a powerful artwork is whether or not it gives me goosebumps....and the first time I saw it, this one did!  Use of such things as one students' reflection against the black piano, whether intended or not, was an intertextual connection for me to the Viet Nam War Memorial (another futile conflict on foreign soil), evoking significant emotion.  I think Duncum's 7 principles could easily be examined in this multimodal work...in fact, I may do just that with a new class in the upcoming semester! 

No comments:

Post a Comment