I'll preface my reflections on Chapt 3 by saying that not being in a K-5 art room this year makes some of the questions difficult. It doesn't seem particularly useful to apply these questions to past groups of students; my memories may not be accurate and whatever research decisions and choices I might make based on those groups of students from my recent past would not have practical application or opportunities to test hypotheses. What I am left with is to speculate about a group of underachieving elementary aged boys that we will be proposing to work with. Because we have yet to collect information about this group of student with whom we anticipate working, my answers may not be totally accurate. Revisions, then, to my current thinking will be inevitable. But here goes anyway!
At this point, my research question is:
Does VTS (student-centered art discussion) impact the literacy skills of underachieving K-5 boys in observable ways?
At this time, my subquestions include:
How do these students approach and/or engage in VTS discussions initially? Does this change over time?
Are these students initially motivated to particpate in VTS discussions? Does this change over time?
Are any literacy behaviors impacted by frequent VTS discussions?
Is there any observable transfer of VTS-related behaviors to other contexts and/or contents during the study?
Is there any type of qualitative change in the art production of these students during thecourse of the study?
My answers to the exercises for the remainder of the "What Works" chapters will be based on the research question and subquestions I have stated.
Mindwork: Discover What You Know
My history includes extensive training in VTS and experience using it with many types of participation groups from heterogeneous K-5 art classes to general ed and art ed college students in their 20s & 30s to museum docents whose ages range from their 30s to 60s and perhaps beyond. During the 8 years I taught in Blue Springs, I also acquired a significant amount of knowledge related to K-5 literacy and integration of the visual arts across the curriculum and English as a Second Language instruction through inservices, workshops, college courses and personal research.
This history I described above has enhanced my knowledge of different types of teaching. It has informed me of the philosophical and theoretical foundations of VTS and given me the opportunity to observe/learn from the constructivist method as enacted it in my teaching. My history has also given me an understanding of K-5 literacy objectives, instructional approaches, and helped me to see how visual art can enhance core content learning while maintaining its integrity as a discipline.
Literatuare I have read and liked includes VTS research and VTS publisehd articles from various sources including Abigail Housen's research "The Eye of the Beholder" and "Aesthetic Thought, Critical Thinking, and Transfer" as well as Philip Yenawine's "Theory Into Practice: The Visual Thinking Strategies" and "Jumpstarting Visual Literacy." I have also read "Mosaic of Thought" by Elin Keene which analyzes reading comprehension and how to teach it and "Comprehending Math" by Arthur Hyde which applies Keene's literacy approach to mathematics. I've also explored Pearson & Gallagher's "Gradual Release of Responsibility."
What I have noticed that might make students embrace the VTS is that they love to be asked to talk and give their opinions about art in the visual arts classroom. The method encourages respectful, democratic discussion and they appear to like that as well. My evidence of this comes from the fact that they seem to welcome opportunities to "VTS" images, participate fully and enthusiastically, and are often sorry when I have to wind up a discussion.
Curriculum goals related to verbal communication, analyzing visual text, synthesizing and applying information from other content areas into art viewing are all addressed with VTS.
Based upon the above information, the sources I already know that I might consult in my research are VTS research sources available as downloads from the VTS website. As the result of my VTS training and regular communication with members of the training and adminstrative staffs, I have a resource list of highly qualified individuals including VTS co-founder Philip Yenawine and Abigail Housen's research assistant Karin DeSantis. Locally, Dr. Kathy Unrath and Dr. Carol Gilis, are highly qualified and interested mentors and sources of art and literacy related information. (And, as distinguished member of Mizzou faculty, they can refer me to other qualified individuals at various research questions and needs arise.)
Sources of addition information will be internet and library searches. I will also examine bibliographies attached to the literature sources I have listed above.
(Stay tuned for part 2 of this....It is now 1:47 am and I MUST get some sleep!)
I am very excited about the prospect of this study. I would move up the art production in the subquestions.
ReplyDeleteYou will have to define the observable differences clearly.
Does VTS (student-centered art discussion) impact the literacy skills of underachieving K-5 boys in observable ways?
At this time, my subquestions include:
How do these students approach and/or engage in VTS discussions initially? Does this change over time?
Are these students initially motivated to particpate in VTS discussions? Does this change over time?
Are any literacy behaviors impacted by frequent VTS discussions?
Is there any observable transfer of VTS-related behaviors to other contexts and/or contents during the study?
Is there any type of qualitative change in the art production of these students during thecourse of the study?